My Christmas List, Circa 1990
Joe and I were going through some old bins of stuff last night and came upon a Christmas list I had made when I was 16. Here is a sampling:
JC Penney boxers -- size 34
Wierd (sic) barrettes
Walkman with tape player
1991 calendar
Lt. green, lt. blue and tan eye shadow
White sox (Yes, I spelled socks with an x, saves time)
Replacements tapes -- "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me"
Pink Floyd tape -- "The Wall"
The Jesus and Mary Chain tape -- "Automatic"
At 16, I was so very funky, with my weird barrettes and music tapes and all, but I made my mom proud by also asking for sensible items like white socks and a 1991 calendar. The Pink Floyd tape had three stars by it, which meant I would have TOTALLY KILLED MYSELF, GUYS if I didn't receive it. Joe was proud of my tape selections, and I'm still trying to figure out why my boxers had to be the JC Penney kind.
Also on the list was a VW keychain, which to this day I am still pissed no one bought it for me. At the time I drove a 1974 orange bug that I bought using money I made working at Baskin-Robbins. I loved that car. Less than one year later, I smashed my car into an old man's Cadillac on Pacific Street in Omaha and it was totaled. They should have bought me that keychain. Who's laughing now?
So, let's recap. I was a white-sock-weird-barrett-wearing dork beeboping down the street in JC Penney boxer shorts, listening to my Walkman, wondering "Mother, do you think they'll drop the bomb?"
JC Penney boxers -- size 34
Wierd (sic) barrettes
Walkman with tape player
1991 calendar
Lt. green, lt. blue and tan eye shadow
White sox (Yes, I spelled socks with an x, saves time)
Replacements tapes -- "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me"
Pink Floyd tape -- "The Wall"
The Jesus and Mary Chain tape -- "Automatic"
At 16, I was so very funky, with my weird barrettes and music tapes and all, but I made my mom proud by also asking for sensible items like white socks and a 1991 calendar. The Pink Floyd tape had three stars by it, which meant I would have TOTALLY KILLED MYSELF, GUYS if I didn't receive it. Joe was proud of my tape selections, and I'm still trying to figure out why my boxers had to be the JC Penney kind.
Also on the list was a VW keychain, which to this day I am still pissed no one bought it for me. At the time I drove a 1974 orange bug that I bought using money I made working at Baskin-Robbins. I loved that car. Less than one year later, I smashed my car into an old man's Cadillac on Pacific Street in Omaha and it was totaled. They should have bought me that keychain. Who's laughing now?
So, let's recap. I was a white-sock-weird-barrett-wearing dork beeboping down the street in JC Penney boxer shorts, listening to my Walkman, wondering "Mother, do you think they'll drop the bomb?"


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home